Manipulatives and Learning Tools
Manipulatives are essential for all students to deepen their understanding of mathematical concepts. Information to guide teachers in the management and appropriate instructional use of a variety of manipulatives (math learning tools), includes a video overview and handouts describing tips for use and sample classroom activities. Visit mathies.ca for digital math learning tools.
Manipulatives Management (pdf) This document provides tips on managing manipulatives in the classroom; noise; distribution and collection; and storage.
mathies.ca apps, digital learning tools, games and activities are:
• created based on current Ontario research and field requests
• developed in collaboration with Ontario educators
• available online or offline at no cost to the user
• free from advertisement
• available as download and can be used in the Virtual Learning Environment (VLE)
TVO's mPower is a creative online game that teaches fundamental K-6 math skills while enabling students to have fun and learn more about the world
- Ontario curriculum-based: Supports the development of global competencies
- Student-centered: Tracks student progress and responds to learners' needs
- Assessment-driven: Includes teacher dashboard and educator resources
- Free! Always free for Ontario students and educators around them.
Available for Grades K-6. Play it in your browser.
- Assign math problems to students and easily track and support their progress along the way.
- Deliver formative assessment that is aligned to your curriculum using assignments, homework, and whole-class group work.
- Select from our ready-made activities aligned with Ontario Curriculum
This platform offers filters by grade, backgrounds that include game boards, story boards and workmats, and number of virtual learning tools, including but not limited to:
- Algebra Tiles
- Base Ten Blocks
- Bucket Balance with Weights
- Connecting Cubes
- Geoboards with Elastics
- Pattern Blocks
Explore math with Desmos! Plot functions, create tables, add sliders, animate your graphs, and more -- all for free. The calculator can instantly plot any equation, from lines and parabolas up through derivatives and Fourier series. Sliders make it a breeze to demonstrate function transformations.
- Graphing: Plot polar, Cartesian, or parametric graphs. There’s no limit to how many expressions you can graph at one time - and you don’t even need to enter expressions in y= form!
- Sliders: Adjust values interactively to build intuition, or animate any parameter to visualize its effect on the graph
- Tables: Input and plot data, or create an input-output table for any function
- Statistics: Find best-fit lines, parabolas, and more.
- Zooming: Scale the axes independently or at the same time with the pinch of two fingers, or edit the window size manually to get the perfect window.
- Points of Interest: Touch a curve to show maximums, minimums, and points of intersection. Tap the gray points of interest to see their coordinates. Hold and drag along a curve to see the coordinates change under your finger.
- Scientific Calculator: Just type in any equation you want to solve and Desmos will show you the answer. It can handle square roots, logs, absolute value, and more.
- Inequalities: Plot cartesian and polar inequalities.
The Geometer’s Sketchpad® gives students at all levels—from third grade through college—a tangible, visual way to learn mathematics that increases their engagement, understanding, and achievement.
- manipulate dynamic models of fractions, number lines, and geometric patterns
- explore ratio and proportion, rate of change, and functional relationships through numeric, tabular, and graphical representations
- construct and transform geometric shapes and functions—from linear to trigonometric—promoting deep understanding.
Geometer’s Sketchpad® has been licensed by the Ontario Ministry of Education for student and teacher take-home use.
Developed by Dr. Natalie Sinclair and colleagues of Simon Fraser University
A powerful tool for improving student learning. Incorporating an engaging visual component, it allows learners to explore, test conjectures, discover patterns, and think creatively.
Thinking Blocks is a program that aides students in modeling and solving word problems involving operations.
- Ranges from primary to intermediate
- Deals with the concepts of addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, ratios, percent and algebra.